Laws Of Organization
Elements Sensed are not the only Reality
Figure & Ground
- The relationship between and object and its surroundings. Which color is the background?
- What is perceived is not stable. The viewer oscillates back and forth between faces and a vase.
- A series of still pictures gives the illusion of motion.
- Perceptual experiences are not the sum of sensory elements
Similarity & Proximity
- Things which share visual characteristics such as shape, size, color, texture, or value will be seen as belonging together
- Objects will appear as groups if they are close together
- We tend to see a complete figure even when some of the information is missing.
- The viewer perceives the information as connected
- The viewer tends to perceive 2 lines rather than 4 smaller parts or multiple circles.
- Patterns are perceived and restructured in the most simple form.
- The Olympic logo is see as 5 circles.
(Gestalt School on Learning, n.d.)